’s beginnings date back to the late 1920s. The board was registered under the Statutes of Alberta on March 20, 1929.
This original association of real estate professionals came together with their collective desire to enhance professionalism, advocate for the industry’s development and better serve the community.
Due to the economic landscape at the time, in the 1930s, the fledgling organization struggled, board activity slowed and its existence was unknown to many new members of the industry.
In the early 1940s, Mr. Kennett Lyle pursued the formation of a real estate board for the Calgary region. His discussions with Mr. Clair J. Cote, senior, revealed the existence of the initial board, which prompted the calling of a general meeting.
At this meeting on Jan. 26, 1943, CREB®
was officially established as the real estate board for Calgary and area REALTORS®.
A provisional executive was elected with Cote as chairman and Lyle as secretary. In addition to the executive, a provisional committee of five was elected to amend the constitution and bylaws to align with the desires of members and reflect present day conditions.
Membership fees were determined at $5 for active members and $2 for associate members.
Over the years, with its firm foundation and steadfast dedication to members, CREB®
experienced significant growth and is now one of the largest real estate boards in Canada.