CREB® HomeSmarts program
Nearly half of greenhouse gas emissions in Canada come from our homes. They can be smarter than that.
We want our homes to be comfortable, safe, clean, healthy and to have the smallest environmental footprint as possible. That's why consumers, homebuilders, homeowners, property managers, REALTORS®, local governments and schools are all focusing on building homes and buildings that serve people better.
SmartHomes should save you money AND make you money. CREB®'s HomeSmarts program is here to help make that happen.
CREB® HomeSmarts is working with REALTORS®, buyers, sellers and partners to:
- Factor the efficiency and healthiness of a home into the transaction
- Reduce the environmental impact of Calgary and area homes
- Make your HomeSmarts home more marketable
- Make it easier to find a home that fits your values
WHAT SMART OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE TO ME?
CREB® HomeSmarts is an extension of the Go Green project. Go Green focused on familiarizing REALTORS® with energy standards such as Energuide, and promoting green REALTOR® designations. CREB® HomeSmarts is taking this one step further. Now, your REALTOR® can use green features as part of your property search within the MLS® Listings - enabling you to see only those homes with energy efficient features such as:
- Green enhanced homes - homes with efficient features
- Water (low flow plumbing)
- Energy (lights, furnace, thermostat)
- Appliances (energy star)
- Energuide rated homes
A greener home is one that provides healthier and more comfortable living spaces and has features that reduce its impact on the environment. A greener home:
- uses energy, water, land and materials more efficiently
- provides a healthy habitat for the people who live in it
- uses materials that protect human health and the natural environment
- has minimal impact on the land it's built on and the surrounding area
- is located within walking or biking distance to schools, transit routes, grocery stores and other essential services
Greener homes have many benefits and are an important way we can live more sustainably now and into the future. Whether you are building, buying or renovating, there are a few simple ways to enhance your home's efficiency which can add up to savings.