April 06, 2017 | Karen Durrie
Local families and remediation experts share common sentiments about the value of radon testing
When Darcy and Audrey Undseth bought their southwest walkout bungalow in 2009, they were just learning of the dangers of radon gas.
Audrey, a doctor, had seen articles in medical journals on hazardous radon levels in basements.
The pair's son, Brennan, slept in a basement bedroom, and the Undseths wondered if they should test for radon – an invisible, tasteless, odourless radioactive gas that naturally occurs when uranium in the ground breaks down.