Sept. 09, 2015 | Cody Stuart
First breaking ground in 2008, the reviltalization of Calgary's "newest, oldest" community is now beginning to come to completion. Recently welcoming the area's first new occupant, the area is eventually expected to welcome more than 11,000 Calgarians to what was once one of the city's most notorious neighbourhoods.
CREB®Now takes a look at the rebirth of the neighbourhood, how it came to be, and what it will become.
The site of Calgary's first Northwest Mounted Police detachment, which would later become Fort Calgary, East Village was originally the centre of a then-fledgling Calgary. Later falling into decline, the area would be largely neglected, with the city's medical officer declaring it "skid row" in 1941. With various revitalization projects failing to take hold, the community would remain a blight on the city until the Calgary Municipal Land Corporation's (CMLC) revitalization project began in 2008.