June 02, 2022 | CREB
What makes a great community? Of course, there are tangible elements such as housing, mixed-use spaces, great roads, walkability, low crime rates and more. But it’s the intangible elements that tie a community together – like great neighbours!
Neighbour Day is a City of Calgary initiative that takes place on Saturday, June 18 to celebrate our local communities and the people who live in them.
Check out some ways to celebrate Neighbour Day:
Gather your neighbours
What better way to relax and get to know the people in your community than to have a gathering? Here are some ideas to get your event started:
- Host a block party;
- Invite your neighbours to a backyard or driveway get-together;
- Organize a BBQ or meal;
- Set up a neighbourhood scavenger hunt; or
- Plan an event for you and your neighbours by applying for one of the two permits below:
Show some love to your local parks
Calgary has so many beautiful parks and greenspaces to enjoy as the temperatures rise. Here are some great ways to get out and enjoy them:
- Go for a walk to explore your neighbourhood and local parks;
- Assemble a game of frisbee, ladder ball or spikeball;
- Organize a small community clean-up using the City of Calgary’s TLC Kits; or
- Use your creativity and try something new!
Invite special guests
Exciting news! You can invite Mayor Jyoti Gondek or your Ward Councillor to your Neighbour Day event.
You can also be the talk of the neighbourhood and put in a request to have a fire truck come to your event.
Whatever you decide to do, we hope you are able to celebrate what makes your community great.
Read more about Neighbour Day here.